Students from Bird-in-Hand and surrounding areas gathered for Student Safety Day on October 5. Our Fire Hall was packed with 334 students, 52 adults, and 60 dedicated volunteers who were wonderful role models for our young people. It was a blessing to watch our community work together to educate our youth. These were the activities for the different age groups…
- Grades K-2: a fire gear demo, puppet show, packaging & look-alikes, 9-1-1 call simulator, a story entitled “No Dragons for Tea,” water safety, and a drawing station to review basic concepts such as hot & cold.
- Grades 3-8: hands-on sessions using fire extinguishers, fire science, power tool safety, road safety, kitchen safety, & EDITH (Exit Drills in the Home)
- All students watched a live shed fire, 9-1-1 call & dispatch, and fire department response to the live fire.
- Young and old enjoyed ice cream and cookies to conclude the day.
- Safety Day 2013 will take place on SATURDAY, October 19 and is geared towards families