Students from Bird-in-Hand and surrounding areas gathered for Student Safety Day on October 5. Our Fire Hall was packed with 334 students, 52 adults, and 60 dedicated volunteers who were wonderful role models for our young people. It was a blessing to watch our community work together to educate our youth. These were the activities for the different age groups…
Grades K-2: a fire gear demo, puppet show, packaging & look-alikes, 9-1-1 call simulator, a story entitled “No Dragons for Tea,” water safety, and a drawing station to review basic concepts such as hot & cold.
Grades 3-8: hands-on sessions using fire extinguishers, fire science, power tool safety, road safety, kitchen safety, & EDITH (Exit Drills in the Home)
All students watched a live shed fire, 9-1-1 call & dispatch, and fire department response to the live fire.
Young and old enjoyed ice cream and cookies to conclude the day.
Safety Day 2013 will take place on SATURDAY, October 19 and is geared towards families
In the local area this past spring, there have been Around Water tragic accidents of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and manure pit drownings. These are two dangers that are more widespread than commonly thought.
It is easy to become complacent and rationalize, “It always happens to someone else.” However, today or tomorrow that someone else could be you or your family. I urge you farmers to never work alone at a manure pit, and if rescue is necessary, call 911 to get trained rescuers to respond.
You owe it to your family and yourself to evaluate your home, farm or business and make changes if you find unacceptable risks. The best plan is to install CO detectors in your buildings and educate your family about the 911 System.
Time Commitment: 2-4 events per year (3 hours + 1-2 rehearsals each)
Details: If you like being in front of people (or can be outgoing when hiding behind a puppet), we’d love to have you be a part of our safety puppet shows and skits. We are also looking for script and song writers as well as small set and prop design.
The Bird-in-Hand Fire Company is excited about investing time and resources to educate our community children in all aspects of safety. We feel this is a wise and worthwhile use of Fire Company funds and will have great benefits in keeping our homes, farms, and businesses safe in the future. Our firefighters count it a privilege to work with our children, teach them skills, and instill in them the importance of being safe.
Student Safety Day
Friday, October 5, 2012 11am-2pm
WHO: All K-8 students residing in our first due running area (public, private, or home-schooled) & students attending private schools located in our running area INCLUDED: Lunch, age-appropriate activities for grades K-8 (K-2 will have their own Junior Program), goody bags
General Precautions: No matter what method is used to heat a home, you must ensure that your heating system is safe. This means regular maintenance, keeping hot areas free of clutter, and burning the right fuel.
Chimney Fires: Dry, seasoned wood is critical to avoiding chimney fires. A wood stove fire needs to be kept burning hot to allow the creosote in its smoke to exit the chimney before cooling below 212°F, which causes creosote to build up in the chimney. Allowing a wood stove to burn too hot can lead to a chimney fire if there is creosote buildup in the chimney. Although many chimney fires burn up the creosote and then go out, there is a good chance that a chimney fire will ignite wood in walls and rafters. It can also damage the chimney by causing the lining or bricks to crack or shift.
Fumes: Wood and coal stoves are vented through chimneys because burning wood and coal creates people-killing poisonous fumes. In modern, high efficiency stoves, the smoke is minimal if the stove is burned properly. It is advisable to check for loose flue pipe joints and cracks in the chimney that will allow the poisonous gasses to enter a house.
Safety Precautions for Residential Stoves
Always have a working CO alarm when using a stove.
Make sure your coal or wood stove has a flue pipe fastened tightly together with at least 3 sheet metal screws at each joint (count yours!) and a clean, gas tight chimney.
If burning oil-coated coal, be sure to have the proper type of stove.
If burning wood, always use well-seasoned, dry wood.
Keep children away from hot surfaces.
Never leave children unattended in a room with a burning stove.
Keep tripping hazards away from stoves.
Keep combustibles like drapes and furniture away from stoves.
Check for proper installation of the chimney connector through a combustible wall.
Inspect chimney connectors for creosote buildup.
Haul ashes outdoors in a metal can or hopper, always keeping the ash container far from the house.
Fire Chief Lonnie Kauffman gives these tips and suggestions. “Recognize that fire can strike anywhere and at anytime. Know the basics of using fire extinguishers and how to call 9-1-1 if there is smoke in the house. Call from your cell phone or a neighbor’s house. Working smoke detectors must be top priority. Every home and business needs an evacuation plan.”
Chief Lonnie thanks the firefighters for working together for the good of the community. He says, “In our Bird-in- Hand homes, schools, and churches we need to teach our children and remind each other about helping our neighbors. Then residents will want to maintain quality fire protection as a goodwill service.”