The Joy of Running in Community
Experience the “joy of running in community” through the Farmlands of Lancaster County in the Bird-in-Hand Half Marathon and 5k.
2016 Registration Now Open
|2015 Run, Ride & Soar event video.|
|2014 Bird-in-Hand Half Marathon highlight video.|
|Runner’s World named our finisher’s medal one of “The coolest race medals.” Click here to see the article in the August 2014 Runner’s World.|
Click here to see what Runner’s World says about this unique course and amazing Amish runners who call it their own. It’s a course like nothing you’ve ever experienced! Weaving around the famous Amish farmlands of Lancaster County, this is a course that challenges your body and refreshes your soul. Dotting the route are water stations staffed by Amish families, eager to offer you refreshment. And Amish one-room schoolhouses serve as your rest stops. Image by Trevor Dixon
|Our original race introduction video.|
|For another story about our local friends and the Bird-in-Hand Half Marathon click here.|
A Course Like You’ve Never Experienced!
Weaving around the famous Amish farmlands of Lancaster County, this is a course that challenges your body and refreshes your soul. Dotting the route are water stations staffed by local families, eager to offer you refreshment. One-room schoolhouses serve as your rest stops!
Half Marathon Course
Start and Finish: On North Ronks Road, Bird-in-Hand, across from the Bird-in-Hand Family Inn. Course limit 4 hours.click here.
A Unique Running Experience!
- Weaves around the beautiful Amish farmlands of Lancaster County
- Run through the “Valley of No Wires,” a favorite training route for local Amish runners
- Refresh at water stations staffed by Amish families
- Visit rest stops at one-room schoolhouses
- Follow “pace buggies” which lead off the races
- Receive assistance, if needed, from “sag buggies” on course
- Enjoy breath taking hot air balloon launches at race time
- Carb up at Pre-race Pasta Party featuring spaghetti and Amish Pizza Friday night
- Relax at a bonfire & free s’more party Friday night
- Capture the coveted “Road Apple” award if you tackle the Garden Spot Village Marathon or half-marathon April 10 and the Bird-in-Hand Half Marathon
Packet Pick-Up: Must pick up race packet, bib number, and timing chip on Friday, September 9 from 11 am-7 pm at the starting line tent, 2727 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bird-in-Hand.
Parking: Please allow plenty of time to park and check-in. Provided there hasn’t been any rain for several days before the race weekend, there will be plenty of parking on a grass field across from the Bird-in-Hand Family Inn at 2727 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bird-in-Hand. If rain prevents use of that field, you will be directed to parking on paved lots.
Shirts: Tech shirts for all Half Marathon and 5k runners; T-shirts for all Kid’s Fun Run runners. Shirts guaranteed if pre-registered by August 20. After August 20, shirts will be first come, first serve.
Water Stations: On course at Mile 1.25, 3.5, 5.5, 7, 8.5 and 11, staffed by Amish families.
Rest Stops: On course at Mile 1, 3, 4.5, 8, 10 and 11.5 at Amish one-room schoolhouses.
Awards: Finisher’s medals for all Half Marathoners. Half Marathon and 5k trophies to overall male and female, overall masters male and female, plus medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for both male and female in the following age groups: 12 and under, 13-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+.