- Always stay right beside children in or near bathtubs, toilets, & buckets.
- Do not put other children in charge during bathtime.
- Drain the tub immediately after use.
- Keep toilet seats closed.
- Keep doors to bathrooms and laundry rooms closed.
In Pools & Hot Tubs
- Teach children to always be with an adult when they are near or in water.
- Enclose private pools with four-sided fencing & install self-closing, self-latching gates.
- Cover and lock hot tubs when not in use.
- Warn children about drain entanglement and entrapment. Teach children not to play or swim near drains or suction outlets.
- Be aware that flat drain grates and single main drain systems are dangerous. Protect drains with certified anti-entrapment drain covers.
- Install a safety vacuum release system.
- Learn more at www.PoolSafety.gov
Around Open Water
- Give children undivided attention in and around open bodies of water.
- Take turns with other adults to be a designated “water watcher.”
- Teach children that swimming in open water is different than in a pool.
- Inform children about uneven surfaces, river currents, ocean undertow, and changing weather.
- Learn infant and child CPR.
- Keep a phone nearby for emergencies.
- Have children wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets for boating and water sports, even swimming.
- Make sure the life jacket fits snugly. Chin and ears
should not slip through neck opening.
Source: Safe Kids USA’s website safekids.org